The professors presented details about a new, pre-college STEAM program for high school students seeking a rigorous and exciting experience in a top-rated European university. GLCPS high school history teacher Heidi Eastman spent part of the summer at the University of Glasgow working with the team of educators developing the program. Ms. Eastman was invited to incorporate the Port to Port high school curriculum she created and teaches at GLCPS, as well as the formula for GLCPS’ Presentations of Learning.
The team from Scotland is also traveling to other parts of the U.S. to speak at other high schools about the program which will launch next summer. Some of the highlights of the program include:
- STEAM Program - science-technology-engineering-mathematics-arts(liberal arts)
- The program will last between two-three weeks in July of 2019. Exact dates will be forthcoming.
- Class and activities will be held on campus in the vibrant city of Glasgow--the UK’s top hub for music and culture outside of London.
- Field trips to the beautiful and famous Loch Lomond, the Scottish Highlands and castles.
- Instructors will be University of Glasgow professors.
- Glasgow is situated on the west coast of Scotland on the River Clyde: home to one of the greatest ports in the world.
- Accommodations and meals will be at one of the university’s facilities.
- The program is tailored to students from the New Bedford/SouthCoast area and priced competitively.